Yesterday, my awesome new buddy Jess Witkins did a post called “Guilty Pleasures: Flashback Fun” inspired by Thoughts Appear’s Movies Teach Us posts. In it, she discussed the lessons that can be learned from watching the funnier movies. At the end she asked for examples, but I couldn’t do it! Why? Because I had too many movies floating around in my brain to narrow it down to just one. Instead, I decided to try my hand at it and see what you guys think. (I still had so many movies that I may have to do this in sections if you guys enjoy it as much as I did). 🙂
- All schools for the gifted are located near beauty colleges, and they love playing with minors.
- Dry ice can be cut and used as coin in vending machines
- TPing a house is a lame prank. Assembling someone’s car in their bedroom…THAT’s a prank! Go big or go home!
- The best way to convince someone you’re Jesus when gas lighting a person is to tell them to stop playing with themselves.
Adventures In Babysitting
- When your boyfriend calls on your anniversary to cancel because his mom is sick and he needs to care for her, he’s cheating on you.
- All kids know how to scale skyscrapers with nothing but rope.
- Cars always break down in front of frat houses.
- There’s only one rule when running from thugs in a bad neighborhood and you duck into the local bar. “Nobody leaves this place without singin’ the blues”.
- Thor is REAL!
Blast From the Past
- If Christopher Walken is your dad, you’re doomed to an unusual childhood (possibly in a bomb shelter or Baltimore).
- In case of nuclear war, you must stay in your underground bomb shelter for 35 years (every household has one).
- Guys named Adam are destined to fall in love with girls named Eve.
- All guys that grew up in bomb shelters have manners, dance well and love Perry Como.
Exit To Eden
- Somewhere in the Caribbean is a sexual Fantasy Island that specializes in D/s play.
- Everyone is sexy to someone. Just ask the guy who volunteered to sleep on Rosie O’Donnell’s floor.
- “The best submissives usually become the best Masters.”
- “Australian kink!” is a method for eating croissants-butter edge of bread, butter woman’s nipple, sprinkle cinnamon on edge of bread, sprinkle cinnamon on nipple. Guy nibbles on nipple, girl eats croissant.
Pump Up The Volume
- If a guy is shy and chews Black Jack chewing gum, he must run a pirate radio station.
- Everything you need to set up a pirate radio station can be purchased at Radio Shack.
- The FCC won’t come after you for broadcasting illegally unless they get multiple complaints.
- If a bare chested hottie says “I’m not like you”, the best way to prove he’s wrong is to take of your shirt and show him your boobs.
- The truth is a Virus!
One of my all time favorite soundtracks is Pump Up The Volume. Combining Samantha Mathis & Christian Slater with Ivan Neville’s “Why Can’t I Fall In Love” was just….::fanning myself::
So what about you guys? What lessons have you learned from your comedies over the years? Did you enjoy this segment? If I missed a few lessons, share yours…because I tried to limit myself to 4-5 bullet points per movie.
32 thoughts on “Combining Laughter And Learning”
Real Genius and Pump Up the Volume are two of my all-time cult movie faves! Great flicks that everyone needs to watch at some point. Trust me..I have a Film degree! 🙂
So you have a film degree and you support this message? 😉
That’s what I said here and on Twitter. 🙂
Hey, Kitt! Thanks for sharing. I noticed that you had visited Jess’ post. It was quite the lovely trip down memory lane, wasn’t it? You’ve done the same thing here with “Real Genius.” I loved that film! I’m not sure I’d enjoy it now that I’m in my middle 40’s. I hope so. To this day I still remember that line: “I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, ‘… I drank what?'” So funny!
I also recall that croissant scene. Delaney was smoking hot in that film. Gulp! Perhaps the funniest comment was when the guy went to Rosie and said he’d do anything, and she replied, “go paint my house!” Lol.
Have a great weekend!
Thanks, Jimmy! There were so many good lines to choose from with Real Genius… The one you mentioned is another favorite. Oddly enough, that thought is still pertinent to today in that you never know when someone is going to ruffie your drink, so it’s best to watch it carefully or get yourself a taste tester. 😉
As for Rosie with the painting of the house…Yeah, that was awesome! Delaney is hot to me in 2 films. Exit To Eden and Tombstone. I’m glad I’m not the only one who found the croissant scene to be steamy.
Very cool post
Thanks! Glad you liked it. Hopefully the “lessons” gave you a chuckle.
Yes they did. Plus enjoyed the trip down memory lane.
H-O-W-L-E-D over the lessons learned.
I’d say, “dang, how did I miss some of these movies?”, but I prefer the optimistic approach. WOOT! I’ve got some great movies to watch.
And the Australian Kink? Must. See. That.
I have movie references in my book. May have to add this scene clip to the action Between the Sheets of Paper. Visualizing the dynamics of that scene made my mouth water. (Among other things, IYKWIM.)
The joy of being a writer of steamy romance? Living vicariously through our characters.
LOL! Glad I introduced you to some new movies. 🙂
You’ll love several scenes in Exit To Eden, IYKWIM.
As for the benefits to writing “steamy”? I totally agree. And it gives you fodder for experimentation. 😉
My imagination, fodder from movies, juicy blog posts — it’s all good. Or, should be.
Why do I have a sudden urge to write a particular scene? 😉
Yay! Those are my favorite kinds of scenes to write.
Hahaha!!! Loved this! You gave me a great laugh today 🙂
Haha! I’m so glad. 🙂
Need to watch Blast from the Past again. One of those “guilty pleasure” movies for me. Another one: your old baseball cards are worth A FORTUNE.
LOL! Yep. Another good one…
While Adventures in Babysitting is incredibly good, I’m gonna say Pump up the Volume is my fave. Those were the glory days of Christian Slater. Need I bring up Heathers? Fabulosity.
I am also a huge fan of Young Guns and Young Guns 2. Don’t judge.
Oh, yeah! I always had a crazy crush on Christian Slater. The guy just oozes sexuality.
As for Young Guns…I liked them, too. Hubby’s favorite line? “Hey dawg. DAWG! Did you see the size of that there chicken???” Gotta love peyote. 😉
Haha! Never even would have given thought to those things you have found and come up with. I loved your take on adventures in babysitting and Pump up the volume especially!!!! thanks for sharing and your thoughts. Keep bringing up the ideas as they come, i’m interested!!! peace and chicken grease
Awesome! Glad to know you enjoyed it. I’ll definitely keep these coming. It’s a lot of fun to think up the lessons. 🙂
Like you Kitt, I have a very difficult time narrowing down movies, especially my favorite comedies; like in life I want to “include everyone”. Is that some type of syndrome? One of my top favorite life-lessons comedy:
I kept tearing up each time Lars’ town/community embraced his disorders (severe anxiety disorder, skin-touching disorder, relational paranoia, etc?) and in the end…even the entire town learned some profound life lessons for themselves, recognizing the best therapy(?) for life’s difficulties and “weirdoes” is to share in them, together like this town did for Lars (Ryan Gosling).
Oh, my! I have never even HEARD of this movie. If that clip is anything to go by, I’ll be rolling with tears of laughter.
Yes you will Kitt, promise! It will touch your heart too, promise. 🙂
It’s funny. I think I prefer Ryan in roles like this and Remember The Titans where he doesn’t take himself so seriously as opposed to “The Notebook” Ryan.
Once again lists like these prove the movies from the 80’s-90’s ruled. So many memories here. I actually think me and my friends actually did some of the things in these movies!
Really? Did you scale a building? Reassemble a car in someone’s bedroom? Fill a house up with corn kernels, surround it with tinfoil, then point a laser at it to blow it up with popcorn? Convince someone you were God? Sing the blues? Tell me, tell me! Inquiring minds want to know!
Love it! And Thor is totally real.
I agree! Thanks for the inspiration. 🙂
Nice reading about you
Thanks for visiting my blog. Be in touch. Browse through the category sections, I feel you may find something of your interest.
Thanks for stopping.
thank you so much dear